Tuesday, March 24, 2009

2/5 Stork Club: Maldroid

Yes, I am well aware that this review is two months late. I insist on posting it, though, because of the sheer awesomeness that is Maldroid. Maldroid began as a band of robots making music, directed by Ryan Divine. At some point he acquired a number of human musicians. The music video for “He Said, She Said” gained so much attention that the band made an appearance on “Good Morning America” before they played an actual show. Many Maldroid fans are hold-overs from the Solemite and K.G.B days (some members of which are part of Maldroid,) but the band has a solid drunken fan base. Their songs are hilarious, sarcastic, and gosh-darn danceable. Their music videos are brilliant and will enhance your understanding of the essence of Maldroid.

You may have noticed (or not) that this show took place the same day as the last Vermillion Lies show I reviewed. Like Vermillion Lies, Maldroid was also doing a residency in February, playing each Thursday of that month. Yes, I did go to two shows in one night. Since Maldroid are usually too busy drinking to start their shows on time, I only missed the first band. The second band was the Soft White Sixties. I have seen them (or missed them) a number of times, and I continue to be unimpressed. Half of their members were in the venerable bands Link 80 and DESA. However, they fail to deliver in this endeavor. Yes, they do in fact sound like music, but there is very little to distinguish them from any other band which seeks to “embody the energy of Rock and Roll,” as they claim on their MySpace page. I wouldn’t judge someone for liking them, but I could never see myself standing around for an entire set of theirs. They exist, but it’s not exactly clear why.

Maldroid, on the other hand, never fails to impress. Ryan’s inappropriate sexual advances keep the crowd on their toes, and there are always a number of attractive young women dancing. This set was held together with such classics as “Heck No (I’ll never listen to techno)” and “You Wanna Touch It,” while adding in newer tracks like “Almost Pleasurable.” While I am normally thick-skinned, that last song makes me downright uncomfortable. For the full Maldroid experience, I recommend seeing them at the Stork Club while drunk, and buying Ryan a shot. This will gain you extra attention from him, and—trust me—you want that. The Stork Club is a bar in Oakland, and it is the natural habitat of Maldroid. Despite the fact that Ryan is married, he will come onto you. Don’t take it personally. Other highlights of this show (and most others) are Ryan’s frilly shirts and his on-stage fights with his wife. Classic.

1 comment: